An eggplant and Ricotta delight!
Serves 2 people
- 1 x medium to large eggplant
- Some extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 organic free range eggs
- 6 x large cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 8 x medium or 6 x large tomatoes
- 1 x large red pepper (bell pepper)
- Herbs – fresh basil, dried oregano or mixed herbs
- 1 x cup of soft cheese (eg: cottage cheese or ricotta)
- salt (natural, unrefined)
- black pepper corns
Slice eggplant into 1cm thick rounds. There is no need to sprinkle with salt then rinse as some recipes suggest for eggplant. Dip each slice of eggplant into a bowl of beaten eggs then fry in a little olive oil until starting to turn golden. Although this is not good for the oil, only a very little oil is used. Transfer to a paper lined plate and keep in a warm oven while you repeat until the entire eggplant has been dipped and cooked.
Heat olive oil in frying pan over moderate heat. Cook chopped red pepper briefly, then add roughly chopped tomatoes, diced red pepper and salt to season. Heat and stir until the tomatoes are well cooked and soft.
Add chopped garlic and dried herbs to the tomato mixture, and leave to simmer until flavors are well combined. Mix in cooked eggplant. Serve in bowls with a generous dollop of ricotta (or cottage cheese) and sprinkle with fresh basil.
Accompany with a large green salad.