Serves 6 people as a side salad.
- 1kg (or about 2lb) tomatoes, chopped (5 cups)
- 1 x 400g (15-oz). can chickpeas, rinsed and drained or 1 cup home cooked chickpeas.
- 1 x 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbs. grated lime zest
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ tsp unrefined salt
- ½ tsp jaggery (dehydrated sugar cane juice) optional
Toss chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and corn in a bowl. In a bottle or jar mix lime juice, olive oil, lime zest, salt and jaggery. Shake well. Pour over chickpea mixture. Toss in basil. May be served cold or warm.
Chickpeas have a low calorie count. 1 cup of cooked chickpeas yields only 269 calories, contain 15 grams of protein, 13 grams of dietary fiber, 4 grams of fat and 0 grams of cholesterol. In-fact chickpeas have been shown to help lower cholesterol. They are also great for supporting protein levels on a vegetarian diet.