This page gives you the details on how to do the Herbal DETOX program
There are four different options for doing the program. They all vary depending on your own personal health and the length of time you wish to do the DETOX. The program consists of taking herbal capsules from four different bottles – Colonaid, Digezaid, Livafood, and Symlax.
Choosing the right plan for you is important because we want you to succeed. In saying that you can easily switch between these plans at any time. There are no hard and fast rules around the dosage because everybody is different. If you find the plan is too strong for you and you are getting uncomfortable or it’s happening too fast, then switch to a slower plan and if not enough is happening you can switch to a faster plan.
These guidelines are just to help get you started.
For the very experienced, strong, super healthy person.
- DAY 1 and 2 (Take 40 capsules daily) – On rising in the morning take 5 capsules each of Colon-aid, Digezaid, Livafood and Symlax. Repeat at Bedtime
- DAYS 3 to 7 (Take 80 capsules daily) – On rising in the morning take 10 capsules each of Colon-aid, Digezaid, Livafood and Symlax. Repeat at Bedtime
For the average healthy person who wants improved energy levels, to lose some weight or to alleviate minor irritations.
- DAYS 1 to 4 (Take 20 capsules daily) – On rising in the morning take 5 capsules each of Colon-aid, Digezaid, Livafood, and Symlax.
- DAYS 5 to 14 (Take 40 capsules daily) – On rising in the morning take 5 capsules each of Colon-aid, Digezaid, Livafood, and Symlax. Repeat at Bedtime
For the generally unwell, those with chronic health conditions, the elderly or morbidly obese.
- DAYS 1 to 30 (Take 16 capsules daily) – On rising in the morning 2 capsules each of Colon-aid, Digezaid, Livafood, and Symlax. Repeat at Bedtime
For long-term use to gently encourage regularity, balance metabolism and improve digestion.
- DAYS 1 to 60 (Take 8 capsules daily) – At bedtime take 2 capsules each of Colon-aid, Digezaid, Livafood, and Symlax.
Choosing the ideal plan can be a bit of guesswork, so if you start your program and find the results to strong or too weak for your liking, you can always switch to another plan along the way. There are no hard and fast rules about sticking to one particular plan, so follow your instincts. It may be that your capsules run out sooner or later than anticipated because you changed plans, but that’s fine. So long as you get the results you desire.
Please note: Some particular foods and recipes can only be eaten on the Gentle or Maintenance plans. These foods and recipes are marked with a star, both in the recipe section and shopping list. All other foods can be eaten freely on all plans. If any severe discomfort or pain occurs during this program, cease taking the remedies altogether and consult your practitioner. Maybe try one of the gentler plans
THE FOUR STAGES
The Ultimate Herbal DETOX kit contains 24 highly effective herbs, to be taken at different times over several days.
Stage 1 Preparation
Over a period of three days, you gradually eliminate all gluten, meats, processed food, legumes, nuts, and grain products from your diet. This includes all junk food, breads, pasta, beans, cheese and any other refined, packaged, canned or preserved products.
A good intestinal cleanse needs some decent preparation. Below is a list of dietary changes which need to be followed for 3 to 7 days before beginning the Herbal DETOX. The main thing to remember is to eliminate meats, starches, processed foods and stick mainly to fresh fruits, vegetables, and juices, smoothies, soups and yogurt.
DAY 1: (or can be over 2 days) – Eliminate all grains, sugars and starches, especially wheat products which contain gluten: bread, pasta, pastry, pies, baking, cakes, cookies/biscuits, crackers, snack bars, rice, and rice products; any grain product in a package. Eliminate sweets, sweet foods, candy, chocolate.
DAY 2: (or can be over next 2 days) – Eliminate meats, whilst still eliminating grains as above, now also eliminate all protein. Avoid all meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, beans, lentils, chickpeas, other pulses, legumes, nuts, and seeds. Exceptions: unsweetened yogurt and protein powders; you can eat these freely throughout the Herbal DETOX if you are tolerant to milk protein. For people who suffer from lactose intolerance, yogurt is often appropriate because the culture has already broken down this milk sugar. Most protein powders contain no lactose. Get organic yogurt when possible as it provides easily digested protein and beneficial intestinal organisms.
DAY 3: (or can be over next 2 or 3 days) – Eliminate all other processed foods including all packaged, refined, canned, preserved, artificially colored and flavored foods so that your diet is now as close to nature as possible. Continue avoiding the previously eliminated foods while eating plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. Do not eat potatoes or bananas as they are too starchy for your DETOX and will slow it down.
Foods that can be eaten freely during your DETOX:
- All fresh fruits and vegetables (except potato and banana)
- Cayenne, garlic, and ginger
- Vegetable soups (homemade)
- Diluted fruit juices
- Vegetable juices
- Unsweetened yogurt
- Herbal teas
- Raw vegetables
- Culinary herbs
- Pure water
Getting Ready: An ideal kick-start to the Herbal DETOX is half a teaspoon of Epsom Salt in water twice daily during the three days of preparation. You are now ready for the next stage. You can take fruit for lunch and buy vegetables and fresh fruits for juicing. You can have extra yogurt and olive oil to keep energy up.
Drink plenty of water: Once you have been on this diet for at least 3 days (preferably a week) you are ready to begin taking the herbs. From this point on you will need to follow the diet as strictly as you can.
Special Note re Caffeine, Tobacco, and Alcohol:
Caffeine is found in tea, coffee, chocolate, and many soft drinks. When you stop taking caffeine, tobacco or alcohol your body may experience one or more of the following withdrawal symptoms:
- Low energy; or
- A general unwell feeling.
I recommend that during the Herbal DETOX, if it places extra unnecessary stress on your body, that you do not completely stop coffee, tobacco or alcohol (unless this is your desire). Just reduce to 1 or 2 x 100ml servings per day. This will not interfere with the program’s success. HOWEVER!! This is a golden opportunity to “change your life” and quit a bad habit forever. The whole process of completing a Herbal DETOX makes quitting a habit so much easier.
Stage 2 – Lead-In
The herbs are taken at a lower dose to create a smooth transition into detox mode on the 7 day and 14 day programs. There is no lead in required on the 1 or 2-month programs. Once you get through these first few days your body can move into the ULTIMATE DETOX stage comfortably.
Now you are ready to start taking your herbal capsules daily while continuing the pure food diet. I have tried to keep it as easy as possible while ensuring the best of results but just follow your common sense when taking the remedies. Don’t worry if you miss something, you can always take it later without causing any problem.
Continue with your normal routine including work (unless very physical). However, make physical exercise light to moderate and its best to reduce your gym workout temporarily. During this lead-in stage, you will be giving a lower dose of the herbal capsules so your body can adjust to the detox diet along with the herbs. You may experience body-cleansing effects during this stage. Extra bowel motions, a headache or a little nausea but don’t worry, this is normal and will pass. The 2-4 days of lead-in are to bring you slowly to the point where you are ready for the full dose of herbs to achieve your Ultimate Herbal DETOX.
Stage 3 – Ultimate Herbal DETOX
You will be taking up to 40 capsules twice daily while following the strict diet and recipes provided. You eat a very pure, fresh whole-food diet. You should find that your bowel movements increase in urgency, size, and frequency. Many people experience between 4 and 6 semi-solid bowel movements daily. Impactions (or plaque as it is often referred to) can start to appear.
Now you are ready to start taking your full dose of 8-80 herbal capsules daily while continuing the pure food diet. Sound like too many capsules? You can use the juices and smoothies to help swallow the capsules and there is an easy solution if you are finding the sheer number of capsules too many to stomach. Symlax and Livafood capsules are easy to open and mix into a glass of water or diluted juice. Opening the capsules of these two products reduces your capsule intake by half.
Shakes and smoothies are a key part of this program because they are designed to encourage digestive function and maintain energy levels. Green smoothies are the ultimate drink/ meal during the entire program. The more liquid and raw food the better your results will be. Click here to see the recipe pages for some great options on smoothies
As your body removes solid build-up and begins to detox you will probably experience a few changes in your body. These can be a little disconcerting if you are not warned. All of these things are normal but if they go beyond mild discomfort and into pain then back-off, slow down or even stop and start again on a more gentle plan. Symptoms include headaches, nausea, bloating, gas, colic or intestinal cramp, sudden urge to eliminate, diarrhea or vomiting (should not last more than a day or so), fatigue, frustration, bad temper (that’s OK, but try a punch bag).
The three golden rules
1. Do not eat too much at once.
2. Chew your food extra well.
3. People with diabetes or candida, avoid too many sweet fruits and fruit juices. Can still eat pears and apples in moderation.
Stage 4 – Follow Up
The elimination diet in preparation is reversed and you can return to normal eating. A good course of probiotics is recommended along with a long-term approach to non-toxin accumulating diet.
The follow-up stage is very important and should not be under-estimated. The long term healing of many irritating disturbances can sometimes occur well after the actual detox stage is completed. Allowing your body more time to experience a peaceful toxin-free ‘holiday’ period is highly beneficial. How long would you like to be on holiday, 10 days or 6 weeks? I am sure your colon, liver, kidneys, heart, and brain all feel the same way.
The day after completing the capsules, seek out the best probiotic product you can find locally. It is best to choose a broad-spectrum probiotic formula with many billions of cells per capsule. There are several good probiotics on the market and new advanced strains appearing all the time so I suggest taking a product recommended by your local health professional and follow this course for one month. If you don’t want to spend the extra money you can keep consuming plenty of live organic unsweetened yogurt and avoid processed sugar during this following month.
Learn about how to do the Herbal DETOX. See plan options, how to switch plans, the four stages of detoxing and the food options for the plan. Learn about how to do the Herbal DETOX. See plan options, how to switch plans, the four stages of detoxing and the food options for the plan.
If you go back to the beginning of the program and look at Stage 1 (Preparation), you will see the elimination diet. The ideal way to come back onto normal food is to reverse this elimination diet. Better still is to reverse the elimination diet over 3 weeks if possible and introduce new foods each day, one or two at a time. This way you can find out what foods make you feel clear and energized and what foods give you symptoms of toxicity or bloating. Be aware of feelings of agitation, irritation, hyperactivity,
gas, bloating or pain after food, or skin irritations, dryness, redness, itching, sneezing, headaches or fatigue as these can all be signs to avoid certain foods.
What can I eat?
Although we recommend a whole-food (unprocessed), low starch (low gIycaemic index) diet along with adequate protein, there may be many more specific individual needs. I recommend looking into the “Blood Type Diet” for some broad food ideas. I also suggest checking out “Metabolic typing”, “The Zone Diet” and “Macrobiotics”. I do not suggest following any of these to the letter as they can become very complex, pedantic or fanatical.
I also advocate an 80-90% vegetarian and largely raw food diet. Just take the parts that appeal to you and most of all, trust your feelings.
- Avoid refined starchy carbohydrates like white flour and sugar, chips or fries, bread, cakes, biscuits, buns, pasta, and pastry.
- Avoid or minimize consumption of foods made with wheat (which contains gluten).
- Try to eat only whole foods (fresh fruits and vegetables) and completely avoid refined products. They have little nutrition and tend to bind and inhibit digestion.
- Move towards more vegetable foods and vegetable protein sources such as beans, lentils, dahl, tofu, hummus, chickpeas, corn, and brown rice. This should ideally be the cornerstone of your diet. Base all your meals around a good protein source. Vegetarians are known to live 20% longer and have 20% more stamina than meat eaters).
- Eat light fruit and salad foods when moving fast, ie, at work or on the road. Save the heavier foods for when you have a chance to rest. Avoid eating under stress or in a rush.
- Include lots of herbs and spices in the diet. These are highly medicinal and are largely missing from most western diets. Herbs are very beneficial for long-term health. Try using allspice, basil, cayenne, coriander, chilli, curry, cumin, cinnamon, fennel, ginger, garlic, mixed herbs, oregano, paprika, thyme, and turmeric.
Maintenance: Repeat the Herbal Detox once or twice per year for optimum health. Even after cleansing and maintaining a healthy diet, it can still be difficult to avoid some kind of build up. Ideally, for optimum health, you should fast or just have juices for a day each month. In fact, one day a week of purifying foods is a good practice. I highly recommend this one day of rest for your digestive system and to promote your inner peace.
Look at all the great foods you can have: (Use organic where possible)
- Almond or rice milk
- Almonds (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Bananas (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Blueberries & blackberries
- Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Brown rice (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Cacao (Raw)
- Cabbage red/white
- Capsicum (bell pepper)
- Chia seeds
- Coconut cream
- Coconut milk
- Coconut oil and desiccated coconut
- Coconut yogurt
- Corn on the cob
- Courgettes (Zucchinis)
- Dahl (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Dates & Figs
- Feta (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Fish sauce
- Fresh fish (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Kumara (sweet potato)
- Lemons and limes
- Mango and Passionfruit
- Milk, organic farm gate
- Miso, from health food stores
- Mung beans or Alalfa, sprouted
- Mushrooms, any type
- Olive oil, cold pressed, extra virgin
- Oranges and squeezed orange juice
- Pickled onions and olives
- Pumpkin for soup
- Quinoa (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Soy sauce
- Spices & herbs including basil, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, cilantro, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, curry powder, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, kaffir, mixed herbs, oregano, paprika, parsley, thyme, turmeric.
- Spinach & Silverbeet
- Spring onions
- Sundried tomatoes
- Tamarillo (Tree tomato)
- Tofu (1 & 2-month plans only)
- Tomatoes and tomato juice
- Yogurt, unsweetened
- Watermelon or RockmelonDisclaimer – Results will vary in time frame and intensity from person to person. All testimonials and reviews are authentic and submitted from actual Ultimate Herbal Health customers.