This is a really delicious and simple curry to prepare. It’s perfect for any of our programs, and it’s extremely low in calories and starch, so very good for the Slim program.
The mango chutney is a particularly delicious addition it is nice to eat alongside this reasonably warm curry. If you can’t find Okra, you can make this recipe with zucchini. I suggest try your local Indian supermarket for the Okra.
Preparation time 10-15 minutes
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
- 4 cups of mushrooms (quartered if large)
- 4 x garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2.5cm piece of fresh root ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 red chillies seeded and chopped
- 3/4 of a cup of cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamon pods, ground
- a pinch of ground turmeric
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 225g okra trimmed and sliced (or Zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon mango powder
For the mango relish:
- 1 large ripe mango about 500 gramme
- 1 small garlic clove crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 fresh red chilli seeded and finely chopped
- A pinch of salt
- For the mango relish, peel the mango and chop the flesh.
- In bowl, mash the mango flesh with a fork and mix in the rest of the relish ingredients. Set aside.
- Put the garlic, ginger, chilies and three tablespoons of water into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan. Add the whole coriander and cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds. Add the ground cumin ground cardamon and turmeric and cook for one minute more, until aromatic
- Add the garlic paste from the blender or food processor, the tomatoes, remaining water, mushrooms and okra. Stir to mix well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, turn up the heat slightly and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until the okra is tender. Stir in the fresh coriander and serve with the mango relish.