Pumpkin, spinach, the food of muscle power, and eggs the ultimate protein super-food. Put these together and you have an amazing powerhouse.
This dish is so easy to cook and is very satisfying to eat.
Serves 8-10 people (great for leftovers)
- 1 Large crown pumpkin
- 4 x 100gm bunches of large leaf spinach
- 12-16 eggs (depending on the size of pumpkin)
- 2 white onions
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 500ml of plain unsweetened yoghurt
- A small handful of mixed herbs
- Round of brie or camembert
- 2 tomatoes
- Mixed herbs
- Coconut oil (for the dish)
- Slice and peel pumpkin into wedges
- Slice pumpkin again into 1cm thick wedges
- Place pumpkin into a pot and simmer for 10 minutes
- Get a large flat square or rectangle casserole dish. Mine is about 30cm by 20cm and 10cm deep.
- Smear dish generously with coconut oil
- Whisk eggs, yoghurt, and mixed herbs until smooth
- Chop spinach about 3-4 times lengthwise
- Drain the pumpkin in a colander and allow to cool
- Layer half pumpkin, half of the spinach, onions, and garlic into the dish and pour over half the egg mix
- Repeat this process again until all ingredients have been used
- Cook for 30 minutes in the oven
- Remove and add the remaining egg/yoghurt carefully and top with cheese and tomatoes
- Bake at 175 C for about another 1/2 hour or until you can see the egg is well cooked.
Serve with salad or beans