This is another simple one pot meal that uses Sweet Potato once again. Delicious and filling with a warm Chili flavor.
Serves 2 people
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (Kumara)
- Large Handful of spinach leaves
Cut sweet potato into wedges and pan fry or roast until cooked. Whilst cooking the sweet potato, use a saucepan to boil the carrots and steam the spinach above. While these are cooking prepare the salsa as below. Once everything is cooked drain and carrots and combine all into the largest pan you have, mix and serve.
- A swirl of olive oil in a pan
- 1/2 green capsicum
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 x pureed tomatoes (440gm can)
- 50ml of tomato sauce or tomato paste
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Dash of soy sauce
Stir-fry Garlic, onions until soft then mix in herbs and spices. Add capsicum, soy sauce, tomato paste, and puree. Mix until thick and hot.
It is well known that spinach is a superfood because of its very high levels of many nutrients. The cartoon character Popeye was seen to get big muscles whenever he ate spinach! A recent study has shown that Nitrates may, in fact, increase muscle strength. (1) This explains the mechanism behind the theory, so if you want to hit the gym during your health program eat more spinach.
(1) The Journal of Physiology, Dietary nitrate increases tetanic [Ca] and contractile force in mouse fast-twitch muscle http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/jphysiol.2012.232777/full