It’s often overlooked as a health food and underestimated as a part of a weight management plan or detox program.
For this reason, I thought we should mention briefly some of the benefits of this amazing vegetable.
The real beauty of the Zucchini is that you can grow them at home very easily without much fuss. Go for the non-GMO versions if you can. You will get a huge crop very quickly within 35 to 60 days. We grow ours against a wall in full sun and we always have an overabundance of this wonderful health food.
See a picture from my garden to the right.
The species Cucurbita pepo is a cultivated plant of the genus Cucurbita that includes varieties of squash, gourd, and pumpkin. Cucurbita pepo L (zucchini, also known as field pumpkin or summer squash) (Cucurbitaceae) is widely cultivated in America, Europe, and Asia. The zucchini is a hybrid of the cucumber and has been a commercially important crop in many countries since the 1950–1960s. It is a highly nutritional low caloric food that requires relatively little effort to prepare. It is full of nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, folate, and fiber—all of which support a healthy metabolism. (2)
New compounds called Triterpenoids have been isolated from the Seeds of Zucchini, and these have been shown to have anticancer effects. (2) One study showed that zucchini fruit could play a positive role in human health and nutrition due to this fruit and its components being safe, able to inhibit significantly the H2O2-induced damage, and exhibit anti-proliferative and pro-apoptotic activities toward HL60 (human promyelocytic leukemia cells) tumor cells. (1)
Because zucchini is relatively high in fiber and low in calories, it provides a low GI (15) food with a high nutrient value. This means zucchini is an ideal food during your detox or slim program and will help reduce cravings and balance blood sugars.
Try these tasty Zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini, Broccoli & Ginger Soup
- Zucchini & Broccoli Red Curry
- Indian Style Cauliflower Curry
- Eggplant, Leek & Zucchini Bake
- Zucchini Savouries
- Zughetti in Tomato & Garlic Sauce
(1) Role of Zucchini and Its Distinctive Components in the Modulation of Degenerative Processes: Genotoxicity, Anti-Genotoxicity, Cytotoxicity, and Apoptotic Effects. PUBMED https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537869/
(2) A Novel 3α-p-Nitrobenzoylmultiflora-7:9(11)-diene-29-benzoate and Two New Triterpenoids from the Seeds of Zucchini (Cucurbita pepo L). PUBMED https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6269766/